675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Wheel is locked up

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by gninnam, Jan 27, 2024.

1. StMarks

StMarks PTG

2. Can't always tell from a picture but they don't look that bad to me, if that's just a spot of surface corrosion then gentle scotchbrite or very fine wet & dry with wd40 will remove it, only if it leaves any pitting behind would I replace them.
    But I understand that people can be very cautious regarding brakes, and if they are plated (not sure?) and the plating has been removed in those spots then the corrosion could return.
    The underslung rear caliper on my Thruxton is murder for that, forward facing side of the front piston gets the full force of everything off the road and often has a touch of surface corrosion which I just clean off every year, they're Nissin as well.
    Yours is due to not been cleaned around the rear of the pistons, toothbrush is the answer or those pliers that grip the inside of the piston and lets you rotate them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gninnam

gninnam

The pitting appears to be deep. I will try sanding a bit to see what happens but I think this one is no good.

Checking around and I could only find a piston set with the seal set at around £174 per side from either Fowlers or World of Triumph - holy moly....

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  4. Surely a good set of used (or new) calipers is the best solution?

5. gninnam

gninnam

Don't know yet - will need to take the other pistons out and check them first as may not need to replace all??

6. CamPhair

CamPhair

I can't see from the pictures what set up you have with the hoses, but given the amount of time you've spent on this I'd take the opportunity to fit two individual hoses coming from the MC to each caliper.
    This is a much better setup than one hose going to the right caliper and then a second hose coming from the right caliper to the left caliper.
    That's assuming that this hasn't been done already.

Sent from my SM-G996B using 675.cc mobile app

7. gninnam

gninnam

Its a non R version running abs so not sure if it would be possible to do what you suggest?

8. CamPhair

CamPhair

Gotcha.
    Maybe another member will be able to clarify.

Sent from my SM-G996B using 675.cc mobile app

9. StMarks

StMarks PTG

The standard setup will be on it, with the bridge pipe between calipers.
    On track or race bikes it is seen as better practice to run individual pipes instead.
    Note, this is not for any sort of efficiency improvement (because of the way hydraulic systems work, both are precisely the same in that respect). However the bridge over the front wheel is seen as a potential vulnerability (after an incident at Brands quite some time ago when a lost slider was picked up by the front tyre of a following rider, ripping through the bridging pipe & leaving that rider without any front braking.!
    On a road bike, it still seems the preferred layout to bridge across, presumably due to it being visually tidier.
    Hth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gninnam

gninnam

Fair comment and one less thing to change :)

11. gninnam

gninnam

Changed my mind - want to get to use it as soon as I can so not going to totally rebuild the calipers.

Took out all the pistons and checked them over - a few had marks but above the top o-ring level but tidied them up using 2500 grit paper.
    A few pics before/after of the the worst ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the one above definitely needs replacing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ordered some Triumph original pads which won't arrive until early next week.

12. Good job with the cleaning, if that tiny spot is the worst you're left with I personally wouldn't lose any sleep over it, i'm sure there's many riding around with much worse who never clean theirs.
    you'll have to push them back fully to fit new pads so it may be in the seal area so position it around the front where its more visible in case of any fluid weeping, but i can't see it being a problem.
    Did you remove the seals to check for corrosion in the grooves or have you left them in place?
    Although apart from that bit where the pads are contacting, the calipers looked in pretty good nick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gninnam

gninnam

Cheers
    Left the seals where they are for now so once the shoes arrive and all back together we shall see how it goes.
    If I still end up with the brakes locking when stood for a while it will be off to an independent to see what's what!

• Like Like x 1