675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Valve Clearances and Cam Chain Issue

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by bladebiker, Feb 19, 2021 at 4:42 PM.

1. bladebiker

bladebiker

Just been checking valve clearances on my 06 Daytona. Not done this myself before but using Muddy Sumps excellent video I managed to do it. All the inlet valves were within spec but on the No3 Cyl the exhaust valves were 0.22 and 0.23 with the lower range according to the manual being 0.275. So my first question is are they far enough out to bother re shimming?

Secondly when I hand crank the engine at one point there is a 'clicking sound' on the cam chain and the chain tension drops at the mid point between the camshaft sprockets. As I continue to hand crank there is another click and the tension returns. The engine was running fine previously. I can't see anything to suggest the cam chain has jumped a tooth. When I first hand cranked the engine (using a socket) I did initially and inadvertently turn the crank anti clockwise but no more than half a turn of the socket.

Just wondered of any one had any ideas on this.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Just a guess but is it possible turning it backwards has pushed the cam chain tensioner back in slightly (with no oil pressure) giving you a bit more slack?
    Don't even know if the tensioner is the same as my later bike but maybe its worth wedging the chain, removing the tensioner and resetting it, then when you re-install and rotate the engine it should reset itself against the tensioner blade.
    Then again what you're hearing may be normal for a bike with a hydraulic cct that's lost pressure, and as long as its not slack enough to jump a tooth it'll be fine once the oil pressure is normal.
    I know after doing my shims as well as turning it over 4 times manually I turned it over just on the starter to build oil pressure (and double check for noises) before starting it properly.
    Bear in mind I've only done mine once so maybe wait for someone's more experienced opinion.

Is it worth removing the cams for one exhaust valve slightly under tolerance, that's up to you really, everyone will have their own view, how many miles has the bike done and how long are you planning to leave it until the next check?

I was in a similar situation, did the check for the first time and found a few slightly out but was unsure about going further and removing cams etc, but I followed muddysumps videos and it wasn't as scary as I feared.

3. bladebiker

bladebiker

Possibly but I have an APE manual ct adjuster. May be I will reset the adjuster.

As I’ve got this far I suppose I might as well do the re shim which will involve resetting the cam chain anyway.

Many thanks for you input mate.

Sent from my iPhone using 675.cc

4. If you have a manual CCT then forget everything I've said.
    You're right, getting to that stage is 80% of the work so may as well re-shim.
    I took the opportunity to reset all mine back to around middle spec as some were over and others under tolerance.
    I had the workshop manual to refer to but following Muddysumps videos made it a lot less daunting.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021 at 9:22 PM
  5. bladebiker

bladebiker

Where did you get your replacement shims from ?

Sent from my iPhone using 675.cc

6. Apart from the ones I managed to swap around the new ones I had to get from triumph (Fowlers), because most were 0.025 increments and I couldn't find them anywhere else, if you just need 0.05 sizes then there's cheaper alternatives around, search for 7.5mm shims.

7. bladebiker

bladebiker

Great, thanks for that:smileup: