675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

The Roads Minister should be bloody well shot!!!

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Edski675, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

They're pulling the speeds down so the numpties can join in comparative safety with their meagre amounts of both attention and ability. It's cheaper to delay people than sweep them off the road I suppose.

2. Red675

Red675

They could always police the entries and exits the way they police you scratching your arsehole for eg.

Stop people endangering others with their selfish attempts at queue jumping etc?

The "slow everything down" policy was blatantly though up buy a gaggle of mongs, purely to assist a bigger gaggle of mongs, to carry on what they're doing, with no thought to anyone else.

I'd rather watch them be swept of the road if i'm being brutally honest.

3. T_daytona675

T_daytona675

Think they are not wanting to put up cameras anymore so are reducing speed zones instead, round towns and stuff I don't ride stupid anyway....
    .just common sense time and place

4. Red675

Red675

They’ve got more cameras than cars on the m25 mate, it’s absolutely littered with them at every junctions, signpost and camera.

Supposedly there’s people manning them 24 hours a day too.

They could quite easily sort the whole mess out by prosecuting the worst offenders if they wanted to.

5. Red675

Red675

As an eg (and this is a positive from me for once with regards the police) I was watching a programme the other day where they’d rented an artic lorry so they could ride alongside some of the sex pests you get driving lorries on the motorways and properly see into their cabs.

Some of the pictures were truly shocking in their total disregard for anyone else on the road - and that lot are actually one of the worst offenders when it comes to ducking in and out of slip roads and generally holding traffic up around them.

6. Red675

Red675

im a firm believer that all lorries and heavy goods vehicles shouldnt be allowed on the motorways in rush hour - probably on my own there but fuck it, they've no regard for me so it works both ways now :lol:

7. T_daytona675

T_daytona675

Thankfully living up north think we have it a bit easier than you southerners'............just country roads and little towns up here :)

8. Traffic and roads are shite... It normally takes me 6 minutes to commute to work, when the traffics bad it can sometimes take up to 8! Yes.. 8 minutes!! Really pisses me off that.

9. Red675

Red675

To be fair there's some great roads down here I've been introduced to this summer, certainly South of the ditch, but yes mate, your roads are immeasurably more enjoyable to use. Chalk an cheese.

10. Red675

Red675

Git :lol:

11. Edski675

Edski675

Administrator Staff Member

And why oh why do farmers/contractors drive tractors towing huge hoppers full of potatoes on the A49 (single carriageway twisty road through Shropshire, great on a bike, not so good in a car) at 8.20am :twisted: :twisted:

12. Red675

Red675

brace yourselves....

Dear Simon,

Thank you for your enquiry to the Highways Agency Information Line regarding signage on the M25 between J23 - J20.

The speed limits that are in place on the M25 in the section you travelled are operated by MIDAS (Motorway Incident Detection and Automatic Signalling). MIDAS uses sensors in the road to detect incidents or congestion and then automatically sets advisory reduced speeds (e.g. 60, 50 40 mph) and warning messages (e.g. Queue Caution) on VMS.

The controlled section is fully fitted with loop detectors, which collect real-time data such as vehicle count, speed and traffic density. Signal gantries automatically display mandatory speed limits in response to the traffic data recorded by the loop detectors. The speed control system creates an environment to minimise the risk of flow breakdown, reduce accidents which may happen as a result of flow breakdown, and produce more reliable journey time.

Many years of research have enabled the Agency to develop techniques and systems to achieve effective traffic control and these systems are constantly monitored and adjusted to maximise benefits and operational reliability.
    As the traffic demand increases, inevitably we must expect the signals to be on more often and for longer periods.

The Signal Controls

- There are two reasons for automatic signal and message sign settings

Signals set for Congestion

These are set in response to the number of vehicles per minute passing over the loop detectors – the traffic demand. As demand increases so does the risk of flow breakdown and accidents. At carefully calculated thresholds, the signals are set to reduce the speed of traffic, smooth the flow, reduce the potential for flow breakdown and create a safer environment for the current traffic conditions. Initially, 60mph signals are displayed on the gantries and then as the traffic demand increases further, 50mph signals are displayed.
    Drivers may not realise why these signals are set, and this is understandable as there may be no apparent reason for the settings. However, the system is detecting high traffic demand and is using the signals to prevent the congestion from deteriorating into flow breakdown. This makes the journey smoother and safer for all.

Signals set for Incidents

These are set when the system detects very slow moving or stationary traffic over a loop detector. The signals provide warnings to protect queuing traffic and produce a safer driving environment. When a queue is detected, the system rapidly sets signals to 40mph limits in the immediate area and 60mph limits leading into this, to give advance warning to drivers alerting them to reduce their speed. If the signal gantries are quite close together, the advance signals will be set to 50mph limits. Message signs are also set with appropriate text to support this situation.
    Incident settings are designed to protect stationary/slow moving vehicles and the back of queues that can result from these. The incident detection system also works alongside the congestion system to control the speed of traffic in congested areas where flow breakdown has already happened.
    The signals can also be set manually, for example when maintenance works are being carried out. The signals are used to aid the management of lane closures.

Message Signs

At regular intervals on the motorway there are message signs giving text information to give more details to the driver about the situation ahead and these reflect the signal activity. Examples of the automatic messages are ‘CONGESTION STAY IN LANE’, ‘QUEUE AHEAD’ or ‘QUEUE AFTER NEXT JUNCTION’. Other messages such as ‘OBSTRUCTION’ can be set manually by the Police or Agency staff.

The Whole Picture

The whole system is dynamic and responds minute by minute to the current conditions anywhere on the controlled section. The whole section is linked together to enable staged and smooth changes to the signals throughout your journey.

Timing - Why are the signals on so long?

The signal system is intelligent and prevents the signals changing the limits displayed or switching the signals ‘on and off’ too quickly. This gives drivers time to respond and ensures the signals are not confusing.
    Once the signals are on, timing delays are introduced to stop signals switching off prematurely. Studies have shown that after heavy congestion has occurred, it is vital to control the recovery of traffic speeds and let the traffic flow recover safely. This minimises the risk of further flow breakdown or traffic incidents re-occurring

I hope that this goes some way to explaining our signage. If you have any further questions regarding this or any other Highways Agency issue please feel free to contact us on our 24 hour information line on 0300 123 5000. Alternatively please E-mail us at ha_info@highways.gsi.gov.uk or access our website where information on all Highways Agency policies and procedures can be found: http://www.highways.gov.uk.

Kind Regards

Luke,
    Highways Agency Customer Contact Centre
    Customer Operations
    Tel: 03001235000
    Email: ha_info@highways.gsi.gov.uk
    Web: http://www.highways.gov.uk

13. Red675

Red675

"computer says no" :toss:

14. Red675

Red675

who'd have thought they'd absolve themselves of any responsibility and blame it on a computer....

15. mush

mush Yam Black Country Lad

What a load of bo+++ks must have had Mary whitehouse programme it...

16. Stu675

Stu675

Motorbikes should really be exempt seeing as they don't crash into the back of a queue, they just start filtering.

I really wish they would abolish speed limits and give responsibility back to drivers to set a safe speed. Without responsibility they just zone out and their minds wander on to other things.

17. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

Sorry but I was laughing hard at "Many years of research" and dissolved into uncontrollable fits of laughter at "Carefully calculated thresholds". :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Oh my, they must have hired Basil Fawlty to write this stuff....

18. Edski675

Edski675

Administrator Staff Member

The logic then must be - that if the computer detects large volues of traffic through the loop system, and so reduces the speed limit for absolutely no reason at all, that ultimately the traffic will be at a standstill.

19. auto bahn baby! no Austria or Switzerland or Italian Alps or saint dino passes, autobahn.
    (Not sure why am I sounding like an utter tool... maybe it's 3am and I am unable to sleep and the work starts in a few hours... )

20. Does anybody know this? Does Germany has highest accident rate in EU?or the same average. If its the same average and with 2 lanes people are getting around quicker why not do that?