675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Steering damper

Discussion in 'Wanted & Swaps' started by Robbie Godfrey, May 13, 2021.

1. Robbie Godfrey

Robbie Godfrey

Steering damper wanted for 07 daytona 675. Not too fussed on make just not standard, thanks.

2. I have a standard one that's been refilled with heavier oil (motul). It's been sat about for a while doing nothing, yours for £20 inc postage, save it cluttering up my garage

3. GazP

GazP

Is the refill easy to do? What weight oil did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using 675.cc

4. It's not especially hard although I'm pretty much 100% certain you'll get oil up your sleeve at some point.
    I don't remember what oil I used, I actually did this about 18 months ago so it's all a bit hazy back then! I did some searching on here, and on google, found that other people had refilled them and made them a little heavier in the past, so i did the same. Basically you need a torx bit (don't remember the size but pretty small) and a bottle/jar to do the refilling in. The tricky bit is to get all of the air out so the last bit you do submerged in oil, then put the screw back in finger tight when it's still submerged. There's still a few tiny bubbles in there (actually less than on my stock damper) but you can only hear them when you do really short fast wobbles on the damper, you can't feel them in terms of the smoothness of the stroke.
    Back to me having this one spare, I've just realised why it's spare: I bought it to do my experimenting on, it was a success, then when I went to swap it for my original I found that I'd bought one for a post '13 model, so it didn't fit my earlier bike. So, with regards the initial wanted post, this is useless! However, if you want a cheap improvement to a later bike, let me know!

5. CamPhair

CamPhair

I've got an original off an 08.
    Pretty sure the oil will need changing. I may have even posted on here asking about what oil to use to refill it.
    £20 Inc p&p to the UK and its yours.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using 675.cc mobile app

6. CamPhair

CamPhair

7. Robbie Godfrey

Robbie Godfrey

Thanks guys but I sourced myself a GPR one a month or so ago! Was told it fitted any year only to find that isn't the case, after a couple of hours of swearing and bodging its on and working.

• Like Like x 1