675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Stator/alternator cover replacement

Discussion in 'How To's' started by cpatel89, Aug 21, 2020.

1. cpatel89

cpatel89

Hi All

I damaged my stator/ alternator cover last year when I first got my bike

Newbie mistake I thought I put the side stand down but never did so the bike dropped on me, for what ever reason I decide to cover it up with a carbon fibre cover

I have just bought a new cover so I can replace it

My question is do I need to drain the oil?

The reason why am asking is due to the service book not actually stating to drop the oil, it just says unbolt the cover

Thanks in advance
    Chirag

2. StMarks

StMarks PTG

It can be done without draining the oil, but you will need to lean the bike over so that oil loss is kept to a minimum.
    The Stator is oil bathed, so there is bound to be some oil in the old casing when you remove it.
    :idea: I trust you've also got a new gasket? -the one on there is unlikely to be re-useable.

3. cpatel89

cpatel89

I thought it was something like that. I just wasn’t 100% and got a bit baffled as the service book said nothing about it.

I think am just going to drop the oil even though I just changed that and the filter under 300miles ago.

Luckily for me as I sell car parts I’ve got the whole if your changing this your gonna need this mentality, so I did order a new gasket too.

I appreciate your help on this @StMarks so thank you

4. If you have a rear stand so the bike is upright then you don't need to drain the oil. Some will spill out, but it will be the same that spills out if you do drain the oil. Draining oil that's basically new is a waste unless you plan to reuse it.

5. StephenP

StephenP

Another thing to do even with a new gasket us use sealant as well. The last thing you want is a tiny leak as it's a pain in the ass. Around the rubber grommet where the wires run is a bitch for sealing sometimes

6. cpatel89

cpatel89

@Renboy
    Yeah I’ve got a rear stand, was going to use that so I might not drain the oil out and just top up what ever comes out

@StephenP

In the service manual it does state they use instant gasket to seal around the rubber grommet, I really don’t want to use a paper gasket with instant gasket on top, as am sure your suppose to lightly oil the paper gasket and the instant gasket won’t stick to the paper gasket if it’s oiled up