675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum
Tags:

Slow leak

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by Frankssy, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Frankssy

Frankssy

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

I have a slow acting (probable) coolant leak that causes 1-2 droplets on the garage floor each day and the drops are falling from multiple points beneath the bike. I've attached a few photos to show where the drops are forming. I've checked the hoses and they are bone dry and cannot see any obvious streaking/residue to show the path of the leak. There does appear to be some dampness around the seal where the hose re-enters above the side stand, but that is far away from the drops shown near the oil filter. Also can't see a wet trail to follow to the source from the droplets .
    image1.jpg image2.jpg image3.jpg

Any ideas anyone?

2. cpatel89

cpatel89

3. cpatel89

cpatel89

View attachment 53811

If you bolt that connector off you will find a seal which should be perished, I had the same issue and it was leaking from there going onto a breather hose that was to the left off it and onto the sump

Sent from my iPhone using 675.cc

4. As @cpatel89 says there's a gasket behind the centre T piece and an O ring were the pipe connects above the side stand, either could be leaking, or both.

5. Frankssy

Frankssy

Thanks both, really helpful. Both seem to be leaking so I've ordered a replacement o-ring and gasket.

6. cpatel89

cpatel89

What years are your bikes mines a 2010 but it doesn’t have a gasket only a o ring

7. I was going off the parts list on Fowlers for a 2013 bike which shows a gasket behind the centre T piece, but I haven't had mine off to say for sure.
    Assuming from the pic OP's is a 2013+.

8. cpatel89

cpatel89

Ahhhh fair enough
    Mine was leaking from number 25 Image1618652203.753308.jpg

9. Frankssy

Frankssy

Quick update for those interested. 2015 bike. I had two leaks and ordered (parts 24 & 25 in the above diagram). The gasket I removed was definitely disintegrating from the outside inwards and in need of being replaced. After replacing that I then unbolted part 16 and removed the o-ring inside. That one looked alright but a bit flat around the edges and not as fresh as the new one. The water inlet needed some force to get it back in as the new o ring was tight but it wasn't too bad, cleaning the old gasket off was less fun. Leaks fixed thanks @cpatel89 @wobblybiker99

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Out of curiosity has it always had Triumph coolant replaced at the 3yr intervals?
    I wonder if the T piece was removed when somebody fitted the Samco hoses and they didn't replace the gasket.
    Glad its sorted, I think mines due a coolant change this year.

11. Frankssy

Frankssy

I've replaced the coolant myself about once a year on average. I did get my garage to fit the hoses for me as I didn't have the time when they needed doing. I trust the garage I use but you never know. Other theory I had was all that salt and other gunk from the road got in and damaged it over time. Either way glad it's fixed and learned something new along the way.