675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

One-Piece Leathers Minefield

Discussion in 'General' started by Simmo, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Simmo

Simmo

Looking for some new one-piece leathers now that I am doing more track days and taking it a bit more seriously.

Options seem to be endless so i am looking for some advice, seems like the more research i do the more confused i get,
    - Firstly the fit. I hear that Dainese tends to be for the more longer slimmer body shape which i am certainly not. I'm 6'2 and around 225 lbs, i also have a big ass and chunky thighs!!! Is there a brand that leans towards the non-skinny?
    - Generally considering RST or A* maybe Furigan??? Can anyone suggest any others or add comment on these?
    Also if anyone knows of any good shops with decent stocks where i can go try some on please let me know. I'm in the West Yorkshire area also not far from West Manchester.

As always appreciate any help or guidance.

2. Very subjective subject.
    I'm not a fan of the Dainese or Alpinestars stuff.
    I'd recommend Wolf or high end RST if you're going off the peg.
    Consider made to measure though. Particularly if finding decent off the peg kit is difficult.
    If you decide to go m2m, I can recommend Cougar Leathers in Shepreth, Cambridge. Christine does a great job. I've two of her suits. I'd have had three if one wasn't cut off me :rolleyes:
    I'm not sure if Wolf still do m2m. You'd have to talk to Harpers at Leigh On Sea.
    A sponsor is supplying a RST suit for me this year. I'm off to get measured in early May. Be interesting to see how they compare. This will be my first airbag suit:D
    There are plenty 'new' manufacturers out there recently. I've no experience of them though, I tend to stick with what I know.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Simmo

Simmo

Thanks Bob I’ll take a look at Wolf too.
    And will certainly consider m2m if I’m struggling with sizing. I suspect I will to be honest I’m not a usual body shape, even struggle buying jeans.
    Let me know how you get on with your new RST, it is worth thinking about an airbag suit for the extra money.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using 675.cc

4. I will do. I must admit I wasn't 100% on the airbag. Purely because of cost really but when you think about it, it does make sense. Talking today to some of the team at Snetterton and we are thinking that sometime in the future, for track use, airbags will become mandatory. When we got the support offer with RST, I'd be a mug not to take advantage of it.

Some of the guys on here will tell you I've been bit of a crash test dummy over the years so I have a decent idea of what works. Fortunately I've not really had anything in the past that didn't do its job.

5. Bigmac

Bigmac

I tried some furygan on once and it was like wearing some overalls. So loose and light, felt great to wear but I definitely did not want to see how they crashed. I like my leathers to be thick and solid. I want to feel protected! Complete to reference mate, just go trying some on.

Sent from my iPhone using 675.cc

6. DRC Race Leathers in Sheffield do off the peg, off the peg customisable and M2M.
    A lot of track day riders wear them (including myself).

7. Simmo

Simmo

Thanks Bigmac, absolutely agree. In an ideal world they will be light and comfortable but also sturdy enough to protect.

8. Simmo

Simmo

Thank you Richard, i will call in to see them today.

9. scaramanga

scaramanga

scott leathers were not badly priced for made to measure
    not sure if there still on the go
    but there up north
    proper north aswell barnard castle
    https://www.scottleathers.co.uk/

10. Simmo

Simmo

Thank you everyone. I ended up going to My Moto in Leeds today and tried on quite a few RST and Dainese. It was clear that Dainese were not going to fit in any size (my ass and thighs are clearly not typical of an Italians body shape).
    But, the RST Tractech Evo 4 fit like an absolute glove, looks great, feels great and the ride home was such a joy. I hadn't realised how much my old 2-piece was restricting me before.

I would highly recommend My Moto, great range off the peg, great knowledge and service. There is no way i could have found the right suit by research on the internet.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

• Like Like x 1