675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

How to - Install HID conversion kit

Discussion in 'How To's' started by C.Racks675, Aug 4, 2010.

1. C.Racks675

C.Racks675

First off it's a fairly straight forward job, i'm by no means mechanically minded and i managed to do it rather simply.

First step is to remove the nose cone, not entirely sure this is necessary to do the job but it certainly makes it a lot easier.

To do this:

Firstly remove the fairing retaining clips securing the fairing to the inner panel under the nose one, either side. (see picture)

next, remove the mirrors, to do this remove the nut covers from inside the fairing next to the screen undo the bolts and remove the mirrors.

mirrors removed....also undo the 2 screws immediately next to the mirrors

Attached Files:

• 01.JPG
      01.JPG
      File size:
      15.6 KB
      Views:
    • 02.JPG
      02.JPG
      File size:
      17.4 KB
      Views:
    • 03.JPG
      03.JPG
      File size:
      16.5 KB
      Views:
  2. C.Racks675

C.Racks675

for some reason i couldn't attach more than three pictures???? so

next, remove the cockpit infill panels by undoing the screw in the top of the panel and then the top bolt on the fairing panel shown in the pictures below.

once this is done both sides the final step before removing the nose cone is to disconnect the headlight plug and remove the fusebox from it's peg in the nose cone.

Once the nose cone has been removed literally replace the existing halogen bulb with the HID bulb.

You will then have to drill a hole in the headlight cover for the wiring to pass through. i did this with a 22mm hole saw on a drill but then had to sand it out to make it big enough for my connecting plug to pass through (this will vary depending on the kit).

Once drilled out pass the wiring though the hole and fit the rubber gromit in place to stop any water ingress into the headlight. Once this is done refix the headlight cover onto the light cluster.

Now it's time to mount the nose cone back on the bike following the steps previous but in reverse.

All the wiring is straight forward, just simply plug everyting together (it's all obvious where each plug goes) and then reconnect the headlight wiring plug.

Attached Files:

• 04.JPG
      04.JPG
      File size:
      14.4 KB
      Views:
    • 05.JPG
      05.JPG
      File size:
      16.7 KB
      Views:
    • 06.JPG
      06.JPG
      File size:
      25.6 KB
      Views:
  3. C.Racks675

C.Racks675

The last step is to find a place to mount the ballast pack and wiring. It's probably best to look around the bike while the nose cone is off to find a suitable place. I wedged mine between the fuse box and the inner panel (black panel fixed to the leading edge of the fairings). this can vaguely bee seen in the photo below.

The finished article

hope this was helpfull to you all. if you have any question please feel free to ask and i will help as far as i can :smileup:

Attached Files:

4. BTW, you don't need to remove the mirrors or the screen bolts, at least on a 09-on model.

Also, some retailers sell a H7R HID (note the "R"), which are apparently better for non-projector lamps (less glare).
    http://www.sinax.co.uk/hids4us/index.ph ... tion_id=13 has good info.

5. Good HOW-TO, used it last night to fit mine!!

6. C.Racks675

C.Racks675

Glad it was of use. :up:

7. Gregs

Gregs

Nice post. Another thing to add to the list! lol.

8. Looks very nice ive always wanted to do this mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. C.Racks675

C.Racks675

Could well be selling mine very soon. As new, perfect wroking order with the slim line ballast. Dipped beam only.

Will post in the for sale secion when they are ready to go ;) .

10. Thanks for that, certainly made the task simpler. Stashing the balast was a bit of a pain, but end result well worth the effort :cool:

11. Sloth

Sloth

Curious as to what kits people have fitted. Is there ones to definitely look at, ones to definitely miss? Sizes? Wattage? Etc Help gratefully appreciated.

Also seen that retailers on eBay quote "this product is sold for off road and show purposes only". Does this mean HIDs are illegal on the road?

Nice write up C.Racks675 +1 for that!

12. martin675

martin675

Dont quote me but i believe they maybe or may have already changed the MOT laws So that the HID lights have to be the complete light unit from the manufacturer ie bmw ,audi ect and not a conversion. My dad does mots il try get some info off him.

13. hamster86

hamster86

Re: Re: How to - Install HID conversion kit

Close mate. Mot rules change in January. Hid lights need to come with either a wash/cleaning system or a self levelling device. Been a few weeks since I did my refresher course but I'm sure that's correct

Chris

14. martin675

martin675

Ahh i see nice one mate. So a legal unit is about to get very expensive.

15. So I should get my mot sorted before Jan then?

16. hamster86

hamster86

I may be wrong, but do any bikes come with hid as standard. I'm sure they don't. It might be that the change will only affect cars and not bikes. I'm sure most will get away with it anyway

Chris

17. dino

dino

When fitting mine the biggest job was the hole in the back of the plastic cover and fixing the ballast so worst case is unplug the HID leave the plastic covers off and stick the bulb back in for the MOT. Might need to take the fairing covers off to tidy the extra wires away.

18. Sloth

Sloth

Mmmm thanks for the replies guys. Now thinking it might be more hasten then it's worth! Would love to do this mod though. Any recommendations on the kit to use?

19. Stonesie

Stonesie

BMW's K1600 is the only one, and that has some very fancy kit to keep the beam flat even when the bike leans.

20. dks-123

dks-123

Just to let everyone know, if your only doing a hid kit on the H7 bulb (dipped beam) - there is no need to take all the nose cone off or that, I've just fitted mine using the normal procedure to change the bulb and removing the left hand side black inner wheel arch cover

I've wedged the ballast pack and wiring against the fusebox and underneath,

Then cut a hole in the bulb cover to run the wires through and it fits nicely to run the wiring underneath the cockpit infill :)

Haven't tried the bulb out on the road yet but it's bright !

This is the kit I've used https://www.hids4u.co.uk/H7-HIDS4U-Stealth-35W-Xenon-HID-Motorcycle-Conversion-Kit.html

(6000k - projector style)

• Like Like x 1