675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

How to - 1050 Throttle Mod

Discussion in 'How To's' started by JayQ, May 16, 2011.

1. JayQ

JayQ

Hi all,

Noticed a few people asking about this and remembered that I had done a guide for that 'other' forum ;)

Grip, RH, throttle P/N: T2040331

In the UK available from http://www.lingstriumph.com, mail order £12 delivered.

Easy Install Method (if bar end comes off)

Please refer to attached phots.
    1. Undo allen bolt in bar end and remove.
    2. Remove infill panel (2 allen bolts), this allow for better screwdriver access.
    3. Remove 2 screws from underside of throttle cable housing.
    4. Throttle cable housing splits into two and can be fully removed.
    5. Unhook throttle cables from RH grip and remove grip.
    6. Slide on new grip, attach cables, refit throttle cable housing, refit bar end, adjust throttle cable as required using inline adjuster on cable. Job Done.

If you are unlucky as I was and unable to remove the bar end it can still be done.

Unlucky Install Method

1. Remove 2 screws from starter/killswitch assembly, I then removed this completely from the bar. Very easy.
    2. Now loosen 2 screws on throttle cable housing allowing you to slide it up the bar as far as possible.
    3. Referring to picture below where I have the grip completely removed, imagine the grip and bar end still attached but simply slid further up the bar. You are then able to push in the securing tabs and pull the bar end plus internals free. You are then able to continue as above.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gregs

Gregs

Nice how to. A quick question. I can't seem to get the bar end off! Is there a knack to it?

Also did you change the grips? If so how is the best way to go about it as I have a set of Renthals to go on at the same time!

3. JayQ

JayQ

Hi Greg,

The same happened to me the first time I changed them.

You will need a bit of imagination looking at pictures 6 & 7 above. You cant remove your bar end and therefore your grip is still in place. To gain access to the latches you need to be able to slide your grip up the bar. To do this you need to loosen both the started assembly and the throttle housing (pic 2). This allows you to the slide them and the grip up the bar exposing the latches that you can see in Pic 6 (still imagine the bar end is attached in this pic). When you press the latches in on both sides you will be able to remove the bar end and internals. Get it in a vice or use some pliers and remove the bar end bolt. Job Done.

4. nila

nila Elite Ninja

Easiest mod ever - your instructions were great, made it super easy.

Just not sure I put the right throttle back on lol :monkeythink:

5. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

Just a tip - the Triumph screws are made of cheese-metal, however if your garage screwdrivers don't fit exactly, use the Triumph supplied screwdriver, it does fit properly.

Great how-to btw dude ;) .

6. Great "how to" and super easy mod (thanks given).
    Really surprised how much difference this makes, as I could see F All difference in the replacement part wrt the standard one. A seriously marked improvement on my sloppy throttle.
    I assume there must be a more exaggerated cam, to pull more cable?

i am noticing that the throttle doesn't seem to return to idle, even though i lubed it with silicon spray, maybe with use it will free up (doesn't seem stiff though)?

7. Ok I'm a nugget but what's the advantage of the 1050 mod?

8. It's sort of a cheap quick action. Just makes a full turn of throttle smaller

Ben

9. It will free up, mine was the same when I first did it but it's absolutely fine now :)

10. Dave, well worth doing IMO mate.
    For me it's a night and day difference, previous throttle was sloppy, lots of play and had to twist wrist right back to "take off"

Now it's instantaneous.

Thanks for confirming that Pete :cool:

11. That's it sounds good il do it

12. For £8 it's worth a try

Ben

13. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

If you ever do trackdays - it's a must-do :smileup: !

14. nila

nila Elite Ninja

HOLY SHIT!!
    Got this on today along with the heated grip and fuck me it changes it!
    No slack any more at the beginning of the twist, a bit of resistance to the throttle is all it takes to pull right off.
    Not sure it was a smart move for commuting but def giving me better control (or will do with practise) lol.

15. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog Moderator Staff Member

Take you just 3-4 rides and you'll adjust!!

16. would love too do this mod but seems there is no 1050 twist grips out there!

17. Lings should have them in stock. My son bought me one for fathers day just gone. Fitted, now just need to get the hang of filtering with it. It makes it feel more responsive as for the slack that other people are reporting before I think it is just Triumph like to adjust it with plenty of slack easy to take out with the inline adjuster near the grip.

18. have the 2010 one so may work. so far ebay at nearly £30 delivered. it is the ST 1050 grip? I adjust the cable almost every month... i like the throttle instant. watching wsb and trying too find part and some renthal softies.

19. Just found the delivery note for mine from lings. Part number T2040331 £13.52 delivered.

20. whoops missed a 0 in part number, thats wat you get if write it down @ 3 in morning. cheers its on order. :lol: