675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Help removing headers

Discussion in 'How To's' started by PyroUK, Jun 14, 2019.

1. PyroUK

PyroUK

So I’m trying to get my standard headers off and the bolts are seriously rusty. I’ve started on 1 and it looks like it’s removing the stud from the engine block.

Is this normal/ok?

I’m removing them as I’m fitting a full system so is it better that the stud comes out?

Also any hints or tips with attempting this procedure? I’ve soaked them in wd40 which appears to have done nothing. Tried a bit of heat from a blow torch on the nuts again no help.

Edit the 2 centre ones sheared off and the right side of the left pipe (lower one) had rounded off.

The other 3 are all coming out of the block nice and easy

Cheers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. Hogster

Hogster

Removed my manifold the other day aswell and its a bit of a pain. Loasen all bolts that hold the radiator in to get more room and shift the rad out of the way.
    U will definitely need new studs and nuts to replace. I think wurth do a releasing agent thats much better:
    Wurth Rost Off Ice https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002Y9IN9A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ij4aDbH15MZVX

What system are you putting on?

3. PyroUK

PyroUK

Rads off completely, thinking that due to the centre 2 shearing I may just grind the last bolt off.

Fml

Stage 3 arrow, which is gonna bring its own problems with the mapping and the valve down the line

4. PyroUK

PyroUK

Can’t get a grinder in there, such an awkward position.

Any ideas for lopping it off?

5. Hogster

Hogster

Mini hack saw blade will do the trick or even normal hacksaw wont be easy but should cut through them.

6. PyroUK

PyroUK

Well got the rounded one off with an Erbauer remover set. Absolutely mint but of kit!

Link pipe was so rusted it snapped at the bottom with the weight of the down pipes lol

Got 2 studs left in place but for now I’m calling it job done.

This whole endeavour would be a lot easier with a lift!!!

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. StephenP

StephenP

I have done everything with mine.

Ended up buying a small dremal grinder, trust me it'll cut clean through those suckers, got it off Amazon I believe.

Then use a stud extractor from eBay or Amazon. As you tighten it'll grip and pull them clean out.

After which go buy some stainless steel studs from eBay, there's s UK seller and it's 15 pounds for the lot and far better quality.