675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Gearing

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Curlydog, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Curlydog

Curlydog

Hi folks,
    brand spanking new to 675s. I bought one (2016 model) to compete at this years MGP. Short circuits aren't a great pull for me these days, a necessary evil in order to do the Manx, so I'm quite happy to potter around and make sure I don't bin it.

In order to get this years mountain course licence I'll need to do four meetings, which I'm planning to do all at Donington.

It's currently standing on 15/47 gearing. Will this be anywhere near for Donington (bearing in mind I'm not running up the sharp end). Also what am I going to be needing for the island? I've previously raced on a GSXR600 and 750 and had to drop around six teeth on the rear going from short circuit to the island.

Thanks

2. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

Welcome in and kudos for doing the MGP! Not sure if anyone on here has raced on the island or not on a 675, but someone here may know someone else who has...

Could always drop Rhys Hardisty/Royston Edwards at REPS of Caldicot a line http://www.repsmotorcycles.co.uk/ - Rhys races an R6 round from memory and came third in the 2015 MGP. Sure he could give you some pointers re gearing.

[​IMG]

Another option is to give JHS in Bristol a call - they have prepped a number of 675's for racing on the IOM.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bigmac

Bigmac

I used 15/47 at donnington on a 2011 triumph, I was doing 1.38's and felt there was a little more to come from that gearing

I'm not sure what you will need at the MGP but I'm sure we will all be very interested
    Jack fowler should be there on his triumph this year or next I'd imagine
    He might have some info
    I had a chat with lee johnston's pit crew at cadwell and I can't remember exactly but he was running something mad
    15/42 or something like that, still got the drive on me coming out of the tight down hill left hander

• Like Like x 2
  4. volant

volant

I can't offer you any advice, but if you get the chance to update us on your escapades I'd be HUGELY grateful!

• Like Like x 1
  5. @horney may be able to shine some light on gearing for the mountain course.
    I run 14-44 for Donny GP

What clubs will you be racing Donny with then?

6. Curlydog

Curlydog

Thanks Lenny. Looking at doing No Limits and NGRRC.

7. jfow1

jfow1

15-47 at Donny for me on my 2012.
    I'll keep an eye out for you if you do the NL meeting mate. I want to do the Manx next year, got knocked back this year which is fair enough. Hoping to do the Southern

• Like Like x 1
  8. Curlydog

Curlydog

A pal of mine who did my fuel in my newcommers year, got knocked back in 2015. He did the southern 100 as some roads experience and was blown away by it. Absolutely loved it.

9. jfow1

jfow1

Cool, they told me to get some more roads experience so that's the plan.

I did the Gold Cup in September, loved that but looking forward to getting to somewhere where you can stretch the legs a bit more.

10. Bigmac

Bigmac

What's the entries like for roads? Same sort of costs as short circuits?

11. Curlydog

Curlydog

I can only comment for the Manx. Last iirc year it jumped from £300 to £350 per race. I understand about £320 of that is insurance.

12. 16:44/45 for the Manx. All the best

• Like Like x 1
  13. Curlydog

Curlydog

Great stuff. Many thanks.

14. Pablo Pirate

Pablo Pirate

Donington Gearing.
    Just tagging on to this old thread. Are people using 6th at all? Back straight? Currently running 428 chain 17/54 on a 2013.
    Cheers Pablo

15. Bigmac

Bigmac

I do, I know others that don't but I gear it so that I'm almost topping out in 5th coming up to mcleans so I need 6th down the back straight

16. Bigmac

Bigmac

17/54?? Why so big? Your sprockets must be massive
    I run 14 on the front

17. Pablo Pirate

Pablo Pirate

It's a 428 chain so the links are only .5 compared to .625 on a 520. So I run an 18 front at Cadwell - similar size to say a 15 front I reckon. Ran the National circuit at the weekend and doing the GP soon. Previously only ran 5th on the back straight, reckon I'm lazy and need to get better drive out of coppice and then hook up 6th. Looking to get under the 1.40.
    17 - 53 is nearly the same as standard.

18. Bigmac

Bigmac

I didn't read it properly, 428 is what a lot of the triumph triple challenge lads ran

19. Bigmac

Bigmac

I know real fast lads that don't take 6th but I always like to use all the gears
    It's all relative as you will have to sacrifice somewhere else, I'd just say if you are just using 5th make sure it's set up so you are using all of it come race pace

20. Pablo675R

Pablo675R

Hi Pablo,

How many links do you have on the chain? Did you go with the 142 recommended by t3? Thanks