675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Fork Seal Dilema

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by 6sense, Apr 19, 2019.

1. 6sense

6sense

Just wondered if anyone has any other ideas or advice. I replaced the fork seals last year and everything seemed OK until I noticed a small piece of metal (tiny) from the stanchion protruding. It was sharp and appeared to be the result from a stone impact and present after I'd replaced the seal. Not sure how I missed this, but it had ben pushed up through the new seal a couple of times before I noticed it :duh:. This was the same side where the previous seal had been weeping and reason for the work. Needless to say I removed the sharp burr, but the same side is weeping again.Could this have possibly been caused by passing the burr through the seal or is it possible for the seal to weep due to there being a very tiny ding in the stanchion? Apart fron the ding that is no more that 2mm x .25mm deep, the chrome on both sides if flawless.

Before I replace the seal again, just wondering if the ding will also need fixing? Additionally, if I replace the seals what make would you recomend?

P.s. Its a Daytona 2006 model and I tried a Sealmate type plastic hook to check for any dirt or dust but couldn't reseat the seal or find any debris.

Thanks for reading, all suggestions greatfully received.

2. Best Answer
    Sounds like it has nicked it again, as long as you remove the actual burr it should be ok, you can also run it down with some very fine Emery and polish it back to a mirror finish, not to remove the flaw completely but just to smooth it all off.

If it's as small as you say it shouldnt weep, well all seals weep a tiny amount but not enough to worry about. I tend to use KYB fork seal grease on my seals and dust caps to help keep the crap out as well.

I've always got seals from Triumph, not sure who makes them for Triumph or KYB.

• Thanks Thanks x 1