675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Direct bolt on front caliper options for 2009

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by subaruzi, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Their are some 108mm Brembo callipers out their fitted to some Of the jap bikes-
    You still require spacers machining tho to raise the calliper to the right height to fit onto the disc.

2. subaruzi

subaruzi

Problem with getting a used bike. Spacers were on top of the calipers when I took calipers off. VIN sticker in frame is an 09. Haven't checked VIN in either places.
    I think my over torquing is what crushed the spacer. I think what happened is the casting was probably too soft for a higher torque so they put in these dowels as a safety measure so you don't pull the threads out.
    I bought 8 just in case I goof again. I'm going to mark bolt and safety wire them at the lower torque number.
    Not sure if you can tell which forks I have on here by pics. I can get better photos, I'm just sitting in couch and bike is across street. [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. The forks are 09-12 but the nissins don’t look like the ones fitted to triumphs.
    Has the bottom of the calliper got a recess for the dowel/ spacer to sit into?
    I think someone’s picked up the wrong callipers.

4. subaruzi

subaruzi

I actually bought replacement calipers from an 11 because the ones on the bike had rust on pistons and $95usd for new/used calipers felt like easier path.

My problem is I followed the layout of the calipers that came on it of spacer/dowels between bolt and caliper vs proper way of being between caliper and fork mount. I'll check it again this afternoon and post up photos maybe.

5. I don’t see what can have gone wrong to have crushed the dowel assuming that was the correct part, your callipers & fork bottoms should look like this.
    The whole idea of them was to line the callipers up to the forks so with the correct dowel they just drop together. 788350EA-014D-4D4A-B427-8ECB918DEF8C.jpeg

6. subaruzi

subaruzi

Just looked and you're right.

Previous Owner had them on wrong end of bolt. I made assumption that was correct. Got crushed between bolt head and caliper. Can barely see it in the attached pic.

I don't recall ever seeing dowels for fitment. Glad I'm doing all this as calipers would have been held on by significantly less thread. [​IMG]