675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Degree in life??

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Lewi675SE, Jul 24, 2014.

1. midgey46

midgey46

By that I meant it's easy to get into, not easy as a trade!

2. I'm nearly 30 and I still don't have a clue what I want to do for the rest of my career. But my currect job pays the bills for now.

3. Nearly 35 and considering retraining/higher ed as I hate what I do most days. Rather be skint for a couple of years than miserable for the rest of mine.

4. Aceman

Aceman

I've been teaching for 21 years. There's a widely held belief that if you're good at a particular skill, that you can teach it. This is completely wrong. The teaching is a skill in itself, so just because you may be a very good engineer, this does not necessarily mean you can teach engineering. I'm 48 and have worked in a few diverse fields, retail, despatch rider, sports coach, 12 years in IT, and now I've been running my own martial arts school for 14 years professionally ( and 7 years previously to that as a hobby just two nights a week when I was at university and working in IT).

There is a difference between instructing, coaching and teaching too, and most of the time, this in itself is either not known or appreciated. Some of my best black belts, although being highly competant at taekwondo, are not good instructors (coaches/teachers). I run courses on how to instruct (coach/teach) and a lot of the time, they then realise that being a great performer/exponent and trying to deliver it to others, is a different skill set entirely. In fact, some/most of my black belts could easily beat me up, but they would struggle to run a taekwondo school, and some have struggled to teach a even a single lesson for me.

The delivery of information &/or skills and understanding how people learn, being able to implement this, to individuals and groups, and being able to consistently facilitate peoples progress, even when there are different learning types in the same group/class is quite a high skill in itself.

This is why I can command a high price for running courses, seminars and workshops, and people are happy to pay it, as they know that their clients/students are going to richly learn from their time with me.

Similarly, some people that have been promoted into managerial roles, from being very good engineers, have been awful managers.

5. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

In my business, summer is always quiet... which explains the 'I could do with a part time job' thing. Well, a former client has come up trumps. He runs a small law firm and his resi conveyancing person has just left, and he called Anne out of desperation as the locum agency has let him down, did she know of anyone... so I start a part time job Wednesday! Doing resi conveyancing again... I haven't done it since I left private practice 2010... really excited about it, it's only until the permanent replacement starts in mid Sept, that's fine by me :D

6. D41

D41

Props mate.....my dad was a cop for 35 years.....he spent 10 years teaching, and always said it was the most rewarding part of his career...he loved it.

7. daytona paul

daytona paul TFI

I'm 54, my "full time" employment is a Roller Shutter and Automatic door engineer, note the word engineer lol. I have been in this trade just about all my working life, the other was driving articulated trucks on the continent, I still drive on a weekend for an agency, it pays for holidays and rainy days.....any way, my normal job, I have just had to take an NVQ exam in it to show that I can do the job, I was examined by a bloke who was unable to tell me what type of shutter we was "working" on.... I clearly know more than him, yet as I say, he was examining me :)

Sent from my iPhone using 675.cc

8. Yes I know what you mean Paul. When I started the company I worked for wouldn't send me to college on day release to get my city and guilds so I didn't get qualified. Some years later when nvq's first came out I decided to do this and pay or it myself so that I had a piece of paper I could show to potential employers to say I knew what I was doing and also for my own personal achievement. Anyway the guy that used to come round to me every few weeks for 12 mnths hadn't got a clue they have a list of set questions and procedures that thy have to ask and observe you doing thy have know idea if its done correctly. So I thought I'd got this certificate for life but now it turns out no the insurances industry have come up with their own industry standard called PAS 125, which is unbelievably expensive compared to what we earn. It started off lasting for 5 yrs now it only lasts 3 yrs and the same think happens they send someone out who looks down a list of things we should be doing and if we can prove we've done it the company gets a pass and that's it til next time what a bloody joke. I've got to the point now where I think f***k it I know I know what I'm doing so they aren't having any more of my money. It seems to me that it's just a money making scheme for these companies

9. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

Exactly so Buzz, because my former job was closely associated with the construction industry we had to comply with their CoP and use their qualification system, it is set up for it, as engineers are required to work on construction plant such as excavators, JCB's cement mixers etc. The original system had been in place for decades and was funded by all the large construction companies annually (as they were the biggest users), however when they wouldn't/couldn't pay for it, it changed, it's now on its 3rd evolution, and is still not as coherent as the old CITB system. Oh and guess what? It costs more and is only valid for a set period of time as well. Utter bollocks.

10. daytona paul

daytona paul TFI

If you drive In the haulage industry, buses, dustbin, sorry refuge collection vehicle, you must now by law this coming September 1st hold a CPC card, "certificate of professional compantcy" . You only needed this if you was starting your own haulage, now the government is telling everyone they have to have it, it's a 5 day course, lasts 5 years and is a minimum of £300 a go.

11. surely the company should pay for that card

i know every few years i have to sit down for 2 days to get my passport to safety and the new leading a team safetly card. Was better when you just got a s on your passport to safety

but i get that all paid for.

there use to be an incentive if you were out of work for x amount of days you could get a course paid for by the government

12. daytona paul

daytona paul TFI

I work part time driving articulated lorries, it's through an agency, they have arranged everything but I have to pay. I'm not sure about direct employees.

13. daytona paul

daytona paul TFI

Also many years ago the government did pay for Hgv licence if you was unemployed for a certain time, I took my artic licence in 1999, I was out of work back then, but I had to pay as the government had stopped that training scheme.

14. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

A friend of a friend is in the position of having to do his CPC, his company regard it somewhat conveniently as a professional qualification, and because they are personal are the same as a driving license or passport and no business of the employer. He will have to take his personal holiday allocation to do the course and pay for it as well, oh and if he doesn't do it, his job is finished. Not draconian at all really.

15. Aceman

Aceman

What area are you in? I'm considering replacing my up-and-over garage door for a remote control one. I'm in Enfield north London, is this something you'd consider doing? If so, please PM me.