675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Boots

Discussion in 'Clothing & Safety Equipment' started by Captain Steffydog, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

In the light of the recent injury suffered, i have started this thread.

I am looking for some new boots, i have always gone with looks and price, however the injury suffered by a memers riding colleague shows just how vunerable we all are.

I have always had Sidi's, a waterproof and a summer pair.

I am looking for a new summer pair, any help would be great...

2. try these tcx competizione s I have the goretex ones and used them all winter.

3. I've heard a lot of good report about daytonas a lot of races use them

Sent from my iPhone

4. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

Have you guys got any technical evidence how they would stand up in an accident though stu? As i said i can choose boots myself, but im after some tech info on crash and keeping my lower foot/heel together..

5. OK guys, here goes, as per request:
    (Get comfy, you asked for it. Found my old post 1/2 way through, so bit cut & paste as was saying the same thing. But then added more.)

When I was doing my stint in A&E, we had loads of bikers coming through - was in a bit of an industrial estate.
    Often, they'd have their kit on top of them as they were being wheeled in on stretchers.
    By the boots, I could pretty much call up the Orthopods (bone surgeons) & let them know that this guy'll be needing to stay in with a broken ankle, possibly for an op, or with other boots expect him to walk home.

Ankles are so commonly injured & fractured/broken (same difference, btw).
    so, it seems a no-brainer to wear boots which have built in protection limiting movement past "normal".

Just as you wear a good helmet as you don't want your head cracked open, these boots could make the difference
    between buying new boots and having 3 months recovery from a broken ankle.

Unless your name is Lorenzo & you manage to race motogp 2 weeks after breaking both. (I want to see those xrays.)

Thanks for the patience. I just don't want to see any of you in hospital.
    Not good for you, & more work for me... lol

So, the "Panteleimon approved list" (Copyright):

Criteria:
    - Basically, holding the "foot" in 1 hand & "leg" in the other,
    1. Is there any twist?
    2. Can you fold over sideways?
    If yes, just think of your bones & ligaments doing so. :shock: :eek: Then put down & walk away.
    3. Is there actual restriction past normal movement? (Only Puma 1000, TCS/Oxtar have this, as far as I know. Respect to them for focus on safety.) :cool:

Mine:
    * Puma 1000 v1
    - so comfortable, like a slipper. bit weighty but easily get used to it & feel very secure. & you can actually see restrictions of "excess" movement. Developed with Dr Costa (MotoGP doc), if i remember right. No interference with any normal movement, though, so you don't notice it. :ugeek:
    my 1st pair of boots, got on offer. If only they did a gore-tex version!!!

* Dainese Torque Out WP.
    - Now the feet can stay dry in monsoons. But don't feel quite as secure as the puma's. - Update, now find them also like a slipper, have worn them for 13hr shifts when forgot my work shoes. Also, find them secure enough.
    - They now have an updated version, probably my next pair if buying today.

Would wear:
    * Daytona Security Evo (guess they're like the Sports?)
    * Daytona Evo Sports (GTX - So I ride no matter the weather, ok?) Feel very secure, but more fiddly to put on & COST, not sure I can justify. (& Before you think it, most doc's other than consultants don't get big pay. I WISH) But would consider if was a courier on the bike all day.

* Alpinestars Supertech R
    - Also feels sturdy & comfortable. Feels less intrusive, because of double hinge, BUT, worry that it'll leave room to move past normal. Also, bit cumbersome to be putting on & taking off in a hurry when late for work. No Goretex. OK for track days / all day out in the dry.

* Dainese Torque, New TRQ, PRO AXIAL
    - See above. New ones have better heel cup & inner lace to stop heel lifting. Goretex version! Single hinge. But no "Block" to ankle up & down. (Prob patented by Puma, unfortunately)

* TCX ( / Oxtar) Competizione, S-Race
    - Block to excess movement. Single zip. Oxtar version had plastic on flap, which wife found annoying, but new ones have dropped this. Goretex version. Womens' sizes! Trust them enough for the wife.

* Gaerne GRW
    - Similar to TCX with single side zip entry, but unblocked single hinge. Waterproof version, though. Bit heavy. But often can find cheapest.

--- Some may note the lack of SIDI !!! "What the?" ---
    Well, sorry Sidi, but even your Vortice & Vertigo can still be bent sideways. Not sure if it's possible/impossible when ankle's in the boot in a crash, but don't want to be the test dummy. And no goretex with top protection.

So, there's the list as of 21/03/11.
    Open to suggestions if anyone knows another I've missed off.

Don't know if mods think worth a "Sticky" or not?

Hope that helps! :cool:

Keep it shiny side up & sticky side down! (--So I have an easier job, thanks)

PS "You're Welcome!" ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. - Stops and takes a breath -
    :lol:

7. ozzer76

ozzer76

I have a pair of Supertech R's and they are a top boot. Light and comfy but with lots of protection and a secondary boot inside with torsion bars etc to restrict movement. :D

That said, my day to day boot is a less protective Alpinestars SMX4. I don't wear the Suoertech because they are Red and my commute leathers are black and White. Seems silly when I think about it. :oops:

Certainly made me think more about it. I've suffered a broken ankle and unless you have playboy bunnies caring for you day by day, it gets very boring hobbling around for 2 months or more. I didn't ride a bike then so god can only imagine not being able to ride through the summer! :eek:

8. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

Cheers panteleimon, both of my boots are Sidi, Evo Black Rain and Vertgo Air, both bend straight over at the ankle, zero support!!

Ill get rid of both i think, i really value my body, golf, swimming walking...so boots are now higher up the wish list!

Many thanks

9. Supertech R for me as well.

I read a lot about boots before I decided. These are supposed to limit movement, and also as all the plastic armour is on the inner boot, nothing to get snagged if the worst happens (and unlikely to scratch bike).

I would love a pair of Daytona boots but cant afford that much :(

10. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

These...£299 kind of money?

AS Supertech R...are they vented for airflow...?

[​IMG]

11. I also did a lot of research into boots before going for the alpinestars supertech r. I just happened to get em in that auction a while back. They are much, much sturdier and comfortable than my sidi black rain evo that I commute in.

For me the supertech r protection is reassuring I also like the chunky top to protect the shin.

Steffy go and try some on and get the shop Asst to kick you in the ankle and see what you reckon!

I've heard daytona will service and repair your boots for free throughout their life.

12. TripleJimmy

TripleJimmy Moderator Staff Member

I have a pair of A-Star SMX 2 boots and they are amazing. They have a boot inside the boot, they are probably the most comfortable thing i have ever put on my feet. Better then any shoe or trainer i have had. If you could walk 'normally' in them i would wear them all the time.

Reading the above there is no sideways roll and it would have to be a hell of an impact to get you foot to move past normal. The side plastic brace take care of that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Think I may also be going shopping for new boots now lol. Currently have. Sidi vortice. Love them and they are so comfy as you like but dint seem like they gave much protection.

Sent from my iPhone

14. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

I was looking at spending £150 on SMX 5? but in light of last week, ill go the extra and get these i think...
    Plain black for me, im no storm trooper hehe

15. Surely are vented although they aren't waterproof they are warmer than by sidi gore tex!

Inner boot

Attached Files:

16. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

Are they easy to get on/off with the inner boot, im used to zip and slide in...hehe

Brian Vann is my hero at STG...i love his openings, and his reviews are brilliant, i always check him out for stuff.

STG Linky!

17. Well they take longer than the sidis but maybe an extra minute. The time you take doing them up shows you as you do it how much safer your feet will be than just slipping in and zipping up.

18. Not sure I agree with length of time to put on = safer.

take your A* Supertechs, without foot in,
    now try to fold the foot up towards the shin.
    Ok, now really try, as coming off isn't going to be as careful as you not wanting to break your boot.
    Or downwards.
    Or, try with just the hinged frame...?

Now imagine your ankle...

Conversely, try this with a TCX Competizione, which just has the 1 zip on the side.

PS. In case anyone thinks it, Not having a go at anyone. I think everyone should have their own opinion. That's what makes life interesting. I just hate seeing people hurt.

...I know, "chose the wrong job", before Darren or Tony gets it in.

19. ozzer76

ozzer76

Brian Vann is the man! He just loves the camera.

I think Si should do a similar thing to review his gear. Haha!