675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

biking under lockdown

Discussion in 'General' started by scaramanga, May 9, 2020.

1. scaramanga

scaramanga

word of warning guys
    please all be sensible
    cumbria is a no go zone for bikes
    devils bridge and hartside pass (alston moor) have dedicated police patrolling looking for those breaking the rules my local rag reporting many motorcyclists being stopped and fined for breaching the rule
    and as you will also guess
    small number plates and exhausts are getting added on along with any other things like mot and insurance and so on
    I even got followed to work on the bike the other week im sure a few more miles and I would have been stopped

2. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

This biking ban is all getting a tad bit ridiculous imo - I do get the issue of going/stopping in other communities, the risk of an accident and support the idea of keeping away from others 100% to stop the risk of spreading the virus - but it’s still absolutely fine to cycle (and many in my club are still posting 60-100mi rides on strava) in our ppe Lycra, fingerless gloves and open faced helmets... yet leathers/full face helmet and gloves is not?

Then there’s the traffic levels - first couple of weeks it was so quiet around Cardiff - then last week it seems we’re back to normal levels of traffic. This means queues of cars at most traffic lights - and this is after 6pm on a Sunday, when all the shops shut at 4pm... I see the odd bike too, usually old man cruisers out for a ride with no luggage...

Where are they all going to at that time of day a)that’s open, b) that’s essential and c) why aren’t plod doing road blocks/plate checks on half these cars once the food shops are shut? I’ve seen Lamborghinis out ragging it ffs - don’t use those to go to the supermarket/24hr Spar do you?

Then don’t get me onto all the blimmin dog walkers letting their dogs off the lead/street party crowd (I had bunting/flags out yesterday) who seemed to forget about social distancing yesterday...

It’s just easy to pick on bikes isn’t it? Hasn’t stopped friends of mine from going out, but I’m just about sticking to staying off mine...

At least next week I’ll be able to legally go to my local garden centre. Might strap a pot plant on the back of my bike to convince the wife it’s an authorised journey - I know of a great one in the Brecon Beacons officer

Motorcycling is also considered a form of exercise in Australia allowed in some states during full lock down, and all of them now...

IMG_6945.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cupracing

Cupracing

I’m still using my bikes but I’m definitely more mindful of not doing anything risky on it. I need it for my mental well-being

4. Basically, follow the laws of the land?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JohnnyPS4

JohnnyPS4

Should increase the fine and include an NHS tax, make people they catch pay another £200 for being selfish, then give that £200 to the NHS staff

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ntecuk

Ntecuk

The plod around hear have tugged a few of the car's we have had in work ,including a lambo hurricane that had an MOT test.
    But yes lots more cars and bikes about in Essex.

7. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

They’d have made a killing at this park today then with that policy... Coronavirus: Police fury as 'hundreds' of people have pizzas, beers and wine in park http://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...r-uk-lockdown-split-as-britain-bakes-11985648 Imagine A&E has been busy over the last few days with /️ related injuries.

Still not sure how riding solo, sensibly to the conditions/skill and stopping only for fuel is really any more dangerous to society than sitting in a park getting sloshed with others, mingling in the B&Q aisles, getting takeaway delivered to your house or going on public transport without face masks or eye protection - all official policy (ok, maybe not the first one about parks - but they haven’t shut the parks either to stop this behaviour, have they?)

Good to know that my 30mile cycle ride loop in protective Lycra and 23mm wide tyres last night was completely government endorsed and risk free then, despite all the people out and about, driving in their cars for “essential business” at 7:30pm in lockdown still.‍♂️

At least they weren’t all out on evil motorcycles...

8. Ntecuk

Ntecuk

9. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that motorcycle fatalities / injuries are considerably higher that cyclists!

10. scaramanga

scaramanga

im not suggesting they are targeting bikers im more saying bikers are easy targets
    they automatically think were all just out for pleasure rather than essential travel
    for some strange reason the high amount of people being stopped in cumbria are from the Lancashire area
    don't know if its the lake district or they think cumbria is easy target area to breach the lockdown

11. Hhhhhmmmmm problem is that there hasn’t been this level of pandemic in modern history and everyone is allowed and opinion. Whilst I don’t condone the two wheel worriers that head down the carriageway on their back wheel (who by the way don’t care about rules, who wouldn’t be bothered bout lockdown anyway). I think it’s fine to go out on a gentle ride to clear the mind. I think ppl just need to be sensible. Ride safely and reduce the amount your out. Don’t stop unless for fuel.
    Being in isolation believe it or not can create mental health issues and if you have a crisis your again a strain on NHS. It’s about being reasonable.
    I say this as I’m a Key worker and I have to work close to my colleagues, no two ways about. I also cycle to work (with my colleagues) as this counts as exercise and my commute and I have had enough of ppl tut and shout there 2cents wen they are out for no F’in reason. If you wanna isolate go ahead but in fact this so called lockdown is not a lockdown it’s and ask. Can you please do your bit to not be a total f’in idiot at this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. scaramanga

scaramanga

ive also had a bit of backlash as up until Friday ive still been working
    work has dried up a little due to supply issues for some of our customers
    we have dropped down to just a day shift operation for first time in 24 years
    now I have been given the 3 week minimum furlough
    id rather work and theres others at work want furlough who can only do 1 job
    think the main reason for me going is the fact im on £150 a week more than some they have kept
    nothing to do with skills and jobs

13. Along with the fact that's its become unfashionable to use the word 'No' or simply say 'you cannot do that' as everyone has a voice via social media or are search tool lawyers.
    Progress, isn't it wonderful?

14. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

Not sure about the national stats, but having come off my bicycle 3 times more in 3yrs of “proper road cycling” with nasty road rash and crashing just the once (going off track doesn’t count) in 14yrs of motorcycling, I know what activity I think is actually far safer...

Nicky Hayden is a sad example of just how vulnerable us road cyclists actually are - we’re at least as vulnerable as motorcyclists, the difference being a lot of the danger on a motorbike is down to your wrist own action - whereas on a bicycle you’re a lot more at the mercy of the actions of others/road surfaces.

Then there’s the increased likelihood of stopping for punctures from thin tyres, for fuel (food/water) and then constantly trying to keep 2m away from pedestrians walking on the roadsides by riding out in the middle of the road, without getting honked at by aggressive cagers. Social distancing proof cycling isn’t.

Biking is bad - unless you are going to the garden centre in Wales, from Monday onwards.

Way things are going with the mixed messages from the different English/Welsh gov policies, a lot of S.Wales bikers will be going to the Chepstow Garden Centre for essential vegetable seeds next week, on the way back from a diversion to the Cotswolds etc.‍♂️

Oh - and motorcycling is actually allowed in Guernsey as a recognised form of exercise by the government there https://guernseypress.com/news/2020/05/07/bikers-delighted-to-be-able-ride-socially/ must have a different type of Coronavirus there...

• Like Like x 1
  15. A few clicks on google confirms that more motorcyclists die than cyclists, not that hard to work that out considering the differences in impact speeds.
    I know that you and others are keen to get out but its irrelevant posting links to other countries that is allowing bikers back on the roads because you live in the UK and must abide by those laws. (Guernsey, couple of laps of the island will take how long? :) )
    Just imagine being out on your bike, being knocked off and waking up in a hospital - no thanks and it worth pushing your luck?

As you know (as I'm sharing my images via whatsapp) here in Sweden there is no real distribution to day to day life but gatherings of 50 and above are illegal.
    Once all this is settled down, get over to me and enjoy the roads here as they are practically empty and bikes don't trigger speed cameras

16. Badapple

Badapple

What about from Wednesday onwards obviously taking care? Seems like it's a possibility?

17. Ntecuk

Ntecuk

It's really down to risk.
    We ride motorcycles and accept the fact that we are at higher risk.
    You mitigate the risk by the choice of gear you wear and bike you ride and handling the situation training etc.
    Same with the Corona viruse.
    The government position constantly updated.
    And well the number of people who are infected with no or minor symptoms is still not known. Yes it's serious as the number of deaths compared to last year's figures have increased considerably.Not all directly because of Corona viruse but there's Knock on effect .
    Your all grown ups. And everyone situation is different. Only you can assess the risks . Think about the front line NHS workers. They are working hard . When you see a real NHS nurse at the end of s shift you know that it's no easy task.
    Stay safe.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GazP

GazP

But we can wheelie now though? Down the hill?

IMG_0105.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  19. scaramanga

scaramanga

what a big over hyped reduction in restrictions
    while im all for controlling things
    how id wish they stopped talking in riddles and hints
    just say things straight
    you can now return to work if you cant work from home
    I start 3 weeks minimum furlough tomorrow so does that mean I go back to work shops cant reopen so do shop workers return to work
    why are the clowns that run the country on so much money ?

20. I watched the Boris show, didn't he deliver a big fat " ball's in your court"?