675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Any ideas?

Discussion in 'How To's' started by Beckett50, Aug 20, 2023.

1. Beckett50

Beckett50

I was looking forward to a great morning of riding today and was full of expectation.

First parade checks done, and so start the bike whilst I pull on helmet and gloves. While so doing I notice a plastic burning smell and then spy some smoke coming from behind the front right fairing.

Quickly switched off and took off the vanity panel,to reveal a connector melting and the associated wires warm to the touch.

Seeking ideas on cause, a cure from my esteemed brethren (and sisterhood) please.

My bike is a 675 SE, and I replaced the regulator a few years back. I was out on her last week and no sign of trouble
    View attachment 55886 View attachment 55887 View attachment 55888

Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
  2. SW73

SW73

Heat is usually a sign of high resistance (perhaps corrosion in a connector) or a short leading to high current (chafed wire/broken connection). If you know which wires/circuits were hot it's then just a fools errand to try and work out why. The dreaded reg/rec problems normally melt wires somewhere between the stator and rectifier. Is that where yours is mounted? Under the RHS fairing. If so, I'd start with that and suspect corrosion in the connector

3. StMarks

StMarks PTG

+1 with above.
    Was the connector that is melting, the Regulator/Rectifier connector.?
    It may have been a pita, however.... :clap:Well spotted anyway Beckett50, could have been so very much worse an outcome.

4. Trogdor

Trogdor

I had a melted connector between stator and R/R and it was due to a poorly chosen connector: too much resistance in a high current line leading to runaway heat and resistance.

I cut it all out, used proper wire crimps and then a monster Metripack 630 3 way connector to join them. Wires no longer hot and charging system has been fine since.

5. Beckett50

Beckett50

I mounted my replacement in the original place. The connector that’s melted is the one connecting it to the loom IMG_8855.JPG

6. Beckett50

Beckett50

Thanks St. Marks.

Yes it was the reg/rec connector.

What do you mean by pita?

It’s a curious incident as the replacement reg/rec (purchased from a company in Essex) has been in place for about (3) years with no issue.

7. Beckett50

Beckett50

Thanks Trogdor for the pointers.

8. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Pita is an acronym for "Pain in the Ar$e" mate.
    Troggy's spot on. The loading on those terminals is heavy, and when the alternator is working hard (for example to re-charge a battery that has been left for a period, then hit with turning the starter motor).
    If the connections are not making perfect contact, then that load will cause the terminals to heat up.

At least hopefully it's a fairly straightforward fix.!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Beckett50

Beckett50

Thanks for the clarification mate.

Here’s hoping that it’s an easy fix

10. Beckett50

Beckett50

This kind of thing?

https://www.3waycomponents.co.uk/pr...k-sealed-630-series-automotive-connector-kit/

11. Trogdor

Trogdor

Yes, that's the one. I did buy a special crimper head for metripack pins, they are quite fiddly. I kept the original wire coming out of the stator (14 gauge from memory) and that was just big enough for the pins.

Also look at the upstream wiring from the stator all the way to Reg. Make sure that there are no quick disconnect connections (such as a spade or bullet type). If so replace with a barrel crimp and/or solder it. The only connector should be the delphi one and that has a very high current rating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Beckett50

Beckett50

Thank you

13. Beckett50

Beckett50

First spare weekend a stripped off the fairing to get a better look and it seems I may have located the cause.

There is serious fraying of the loom wires which caused the short

Image1693768577.819881.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Beckett50

Beckett50

By way of a (belated) update, I had a partial loom made up and fitted and all is back working.

Except now the front brake lever is not activating the brake light. Have changed the microswitch, which didn't work, and I am now about to chase the loom for any breaks/rubs/shorts. There was a post I found on here that intimated there is a link with the horn connection. At least the sun is shining and I can work on her on the drive whilst I hear all the other bikes out enjoying the dry roads and warm weather.

As someone elsewhere said, I thnk she has it in for me at the moment :eek:(

• Like Like x 1