675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

09-12 Nissin Monoblock Seals. Help needed

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by Tom.c, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Tom.c

Tom.c

So last season was my first and under track conditions the seals I built my calipers with (powerhouse) from ebay turned out to be shocking. I came to this conclusion after attempting to find them again on ebay and then calling the company directly to ask if they still sell them.

No sir, we pulled them from production as several people complained about the system overheating and causing issues, I explained that this was the situation I was having to which the directed me to OEM seals which triumph have seemed to price at a vomit inducing £140. I firstly thought it may have been my discs had been warped and was planning on buying a new set or the seals had just accrued too much dirt and I was replacing them anyway! alas it turns out it was the seals failing or doing their job too well whichever you may decide as it took almost 80psi to remove some of the pistons!

so I'm currently looking into options and reading some forum post and I came across this so has anyone ever done this or similar?

They'd be genuine Honda Nissin seals and half the price? you'll laugh when you find out what bike they're from. Below is the extract I pulled from a very dated thread

I found out another one: the Daytona '09 Nissin monoblock caliper seals cost an arm and a leg. about 64 euro a set (per caliper that is, at Worldoftriumph.com). At triumph the '09 onwards have a different part number then pre '09.
    I took the caliper apart and tried matching with Honda seals, which are Nissin parts.
    The following fit perfectly and are exactly the same size:

45109-MA7-006: dust seal ring
    45209-MA7-006: pressure seal ring

These work out cheaper AND you can buy them per piece. About 48 euro for a full kit, compared to 128 euro at Triumph.
    Maybe there's a kit for the Honda, which can work out even cheaper...

I've tried to confirm if these are correct but I'm not in a situation to measure my current ones as I'm not at home if and when I do I'll update this thread and in the meantime if anyone can help out it would be much appreciated.:D

• Like Like x 1
  2. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Looking forward to finding out which bike mate. :))

3. Tom.c

Tom.c

:::: Update ::::

so after another day of Internet scrolling I found the following information

1. The size of the seal within the Nissin mono block caliper of the 09-12 daytona is 32mm

2. The piston seals are solid pieces whilst the dust seals have an groove on the inside diameter assuming this is the case for most bikes though.

3. I've found that the Honda seals are genuine parts and are also the correct size of 32mm there seems to be an abundance of bikes that the seals will fit to either the front or rear caliper. I'm pretty sure there will be other Jap bikes that utilise the same seals also but I'm yet to find/confirm these so far though the two parts from above are actually from a Goldwing, @StMarks there's also NSR125 and CBX 750.

4. This opened up several new avenues to explore including other bikes with the same size seal and ebay searches

5. The price for a full caliper build using these seals is considerable lower I cant understand why triumph would hold such a monopoly on this part unless Nissin have made a part that bespoke for a single set of calipers would they?

6. Ended up buying the spares I needed from Davidsilver.co.uk with both piston and dust coming out at £80 including postage, was still sick in my mouth at the price of small rubber o rings but hey at least its a genuine part for a full rebuild at half the price of one from triumph directly

7. now we play the waiting game and hope to fuck they work well and perform whilst on track

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. RL_675

RL_675

reading this is a little worrying for me as i have the powerhouse seals in my black nissin calipers. Does anyone else have experience with these?

I am not particularly fast but i am getting quicker.

i have one option of maybe going to the R6 calipers. this might be the best improvement or spend the dollar and get the hell calipers.

you mention above that the company have pulled them however i have found them on ebay!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-...324060?hash=item236c26985c:g:kNAAAOSwvg9XVUjJ

5. Tom.c

Tom.c

:::: UPDATE 2 ::::

The Honda Seals arrived today and have now been fitted. after careful inspection of the old compared to the new something caught my eye and I cant tell if the heat has warped them or they are indeed an inferior seal quality but..

the honda seals measured nearly bang on 32 mm and sat snug on the piston with no gap down the sides

the powerhouse seals measured almost a mm over and easily fell down the piston leaving a considerable gap down the sides, could this be the issue?

either way the seals went in easily and using compressed air all pistons 'popped' with as little as 30-40 psi, so I'm pretty happy so far i wont get a chance to field test these until I get a new MC and some decent weather on track!

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-12 at 20.32.15 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-01-12 at 20.32.15 (3).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-01-12 at 20.32.15 (4).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-01-12 at 20.32.15 (5).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-01-12 at 20.32.15 (6).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-01-12 at 20.32.15 (7).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-01-12 at 20.32.15.jpeg

• Like Like x 2